August 2016 Daily News Current Affairs
Home > Current Affairs > Current Affairs
- Aug 31, 2016
- Forbes list of World's Highest-Paid Actresses 2016 -
- With Yearly earnings of 46 Million USD, Jennifer Lawrence is at top. 2nd - Melissa McCarthy (33 million), 3rd - Scarlett Johansson (25 million), 4th - Jennifer Aniston (21 million), 5th - Chinese actress Fan Bingbing (17 million).
- Deepika Padukone is only Indian in top 10 and newcomer to World’s Highest-Paid Actresses (with earnings of 10 Million USD).
- Forbes list of World's Highest-Paid Actors 2016 -
- Dwayne Johnson – $64.5 million
- Jackie Chan – $61 million
- Matt Damon – $55 million
- Tom Cruise – $53 million
- Johnny Depp – $48 million
- Ben Affleck – $43 million
- Vin Diesel – $35 million
- Shah Rukh Khan – $33 million
- Robert Downey Jr – $33 million
- Akshay Kumar – $31.5 million
- Commerce & Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Minister of Defense Manohar Parrikar visited USA.
- Bhutan will become fourth Asian country (After India, Thailand and Iran) to host a tournament on Asian Tennis Tour (ATT) in September 2016. It will be Bhutan's first ever international tennis tournament.
- Mega Food Park inaugurated in Jangipur of Murshidabad District of West Bengal.
- Indian origin person Ajay Gopal has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) ANSYS, a USA company that produces engineering simulation software used for testing product designs across a wide spectrum of industries including rockets and wearable technology.
- India’s economic growth decelerated to 7.1 % in First quarter of FY 2016 - 17. It is less as compared to 7.5 % in same quarter last year and much lesser than 7.9 % achieved in preceding Quarter (Jan - Mar 2016).
- However, boost from agriculture sector on account of a normal monsoon after two consecutive drought years and a push to urban consumption from the pay hike to government employees are will push growth in the remaining quarters of 2016-17.
- United Nations General Assembly president Peter Thomson visited India.
- India will deploy High tech Brahmos missiles in Arunachal pradesh along border with China, aid security Concerns,.
- Adani Power will supply 1600-Mw power to Bangladesh from its plant coming up in Godda district. As per Jharkhand states policy, any company setting up power project has to supply 25 % power to the state.
- Aug 30, 2016
- Government approved scheme for grant of Permanent Residency Status (PRS) to foreign investors to encourage foreign investment in India.PRS will be granted for a period of 10 years with multiple entry and foreign investor will have to invest at least 10 crore over 18 months or 25 crore in 36 months and generate employment for minimum 20 Indians every year.
- Filmmaker Aishwaryaa Dhanush has been appointed United Nations Women’s Advocate for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in India.
- Defence Ministry sanctioned construction of a National War Memorial and National War Museum in New Delhi.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) asked banks to provide loans to women self-help groups (SHGs) in rural areas at 7 % per annum.
- Noted American journalist George E. Curry passed away. He is considered dean of black press columnists.
- Noted former international cricket umpire, Subrata Banerjee passed away.
- Bombay High Court ruled that women should be permitted to enter Haji Ali Dargah of Mumbai.
- Noted Sri Lanka batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan announced his retirement from international cricket. He is known to have a Interesting cricket stroke - Dilscoop (Hitting bowl over Keeper's head).
- Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions constituted a Task Force to study cadre structure of organised Group A Central Services. It will be headed by T Jacob.
- Reliance Cement Company Private Limited accquired by Birla Corporation Limitedfor 4800 crore rupees or 140 US dollars per tonne.
- Aug 29, 2016
- 29 August - National Sports Day. It is Birthday of Legendary Hockey Player Major Dhyan Chand. He is said to be India's greatest Sportsperson ever.
- 29 August - United Nations' International Day Against Nuclear Tests.
- Indian Infrastructure Ginat Larsen & Toubro’s named S N Subrahmanyan as Managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO).
- Tata Sons appointed Bain Capital’s Managing Director Amit Chandra as non-executive director.
- 82nd All India Railway athletic Championship -
- Western Railway overall best team.
- Best athlete
- Mens - Jasdeep Singh
- Women's - Dutee Chand
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) sanctioned loan of Rs 204.67 crore under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) for rural infrastructure in Haryana for projects including a 10 MW solar plant at Panipat thermal power station.
- Yes Bank launched unified payments interface (UPI) based payments app in partnership with Mobile payments start-up PhonePe (owned by Flipkart).
- Former Governor of Madhya Pradesh Mohammad Shafi Qureshi passed away.
- Noted painter, writer and art historian Dinanath Pathy passed away.
- Ptc India Financial Services (PFS) tied up with banks that will provide loans to companies engaged in renewable energy (RE) production.
- Goa government signed MOU with Google to promote digital literacy and drive digital transformation in Goa.
- India’s 100-year-old athlete Man Kaur won Gold at American Masters Games in 100-meter dash by taking approx 90 seconds to cross finish line.
- SBI Mutual Fund appointed Anuradha Rao as its Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- Jharkhand became first state to have implemented Public Fund Management System (PFMS).
- Public Financial Management System (PFMS) also known as Central Plan Scheme Monitoring System (CPSMS) is aimed at tracking fund disbursement from Government to various levels down below under all Plan Schemes till last level of utilization and ultimately report utilization on a real time basis.
- PFMS is a Central Sector Plan Scheme of the Planning Commission (NITI Aayog) and is implemented by Controller General of Accounts.
- World Bank has sanctioned Rs 980 crore to dredge Brahmaputra River as an initiative to develop waterways to Bangladesh and to other South East Asian countries in a bid to boost trade and industry in the Northeast.
- Material Sciences Firm and Part of Murugappa Group Carborundum Universal inaugurated its highh-end Research and Development centre in its Hosur (Tamil Nadu).
- Myanmar President Htin Kyaw Visited India ad signed 4 agreements with India -
- First - construction of 69 bridges on Tamu-Kalewa section of the trilateral highway connecting India, Myanmar and Thailand.
- Second - Upgrading Kalewa-Yargi section of trilateral highway.
- Third - cooperation in renewable energy
- Fourth - cooperation in traditional medicines.
- National Payments Corporation of India launched pilot project for Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) with 26 Bharat Bill Payment Operating Units. In first phase, BBPS will cover repetitive payments for everyday utility services such as electricity, water, gas, telephone and direct-to-home (DTH). Later, BBPS would link all major billers with all their consumers which will simplify bill payments electronically.
- Media Firm Zee Entertainment Enterprise (ZEEL) sold its sports channel Ten Sports to Sony Pictures Networks for a $385-million (about Rs 2,579 crore) all cash deal.
- Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg from Germany has won the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One.
- 2016 Formula One season -
- Total 21 Grand Prix Races to be organized across the world in 2016. Calendar is -
||Nico Rosberg (Germany)
||Nico Rosberg (Germany)
||Nico Rosberg (Germany)
||Nico Rosberg (Germany)
||Max Verstappen (Netherlands)
||Lewis Hamilton (Britain)
||Lewis Hamilton (Britain)
||Nico Rosberg (Germany)
||Lewis Hamilton (Britain)
||Lewis Hamilton (Britain)
||Lewis Hamilton (Britain)
||Lewis Hamilton (Britain)
||Nico Rosberg (Germany)
- Aug 28, 2016
- Indo-Canadian Sikh Bardish Chagger named as new Leader of the government in Canada’s House of Commons, becoming first woman to hold this post.
- Noted American Children's Books author Joyce Carol Thomas passed away.
- Motorcycle finance company Bajaj Finance partnered with India Post to facilitate purchase of vehicles in Karnataka.
- Telangana government will rearrange its interim borders to create 17 new districts in October 2016.
- Government will ban cash transactions over Rs 3 lakh to help stop flow of black money in economy, following recommendations from Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team.
- Former CCI chief Ashok Chawla will join Yes Bank as Non-Executive Chairman.
- GAIL India signed MoU with California (USA) based Bloom Energy for developing natural gas-based fuel cell power generation.
- MobiKwik announced partial payment system for ticket reservation and cash pick up for bus tickets booking, further simplifying user's journey. Mobikwik also announced raising $40 mn from South African payment firm Net1.
- Punjab CM Parkash Singh Badal launched mobile app 'Kisan Suvidha' to provide basic information on weather updates, crop prices and expert advices to farmers.
- USA based pharma major Pfizer acquired biopharmaceutical company Medivation for $ 14 billion.
- China's unmanned submersible dived to 10,767 metres to set a national record. World record for deepest dive is in name of acques Piccard and Donald who made deepest dive in history at 10,915 meters.
- Two Indian American (Anjali Tripathi and Tina R Shah) selected for White House Fellow programme that offers first hand experience of working at highest levels of USA.
- Odisha Cabinet approved Odisha Startup Policy 2016 to promote entrepreneurship for start-up ventures with provision of government incentives.
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) signed MoU with Manonmaniam Sundaranar University (Tirunelveli) to carry out collaborative research programmes in marine biodiversity.
- Maharashtra government will transform 1,000 villages with help of corporate sector and civil society over next 5 years.
- Forbes Worlds Most Innovative Companies -
- List is topped by Tesla Motors for the second consecutive year.
- Five Indian companies in List - Asian Paints (18th), Hindustan Unilever (31st), Tata Consultancy Services (66th), Sun Pharma (73rd), Larsen & Toubro (89th).
- Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) signed MoU with The Energy and Resources Institute (Teri) for promoting renewable energy.
- USA Postal Service will commemorate Indian festival of Diwali with a Forever stamp in Oct 2016.
- Actress Sharmila Tagore has been appointed as member of Broadcasting Content Complaints Council (BCCC) along with Arundhati Nag and Ira Bhaskar.
- Himachal Pradesh Health Minister Kaul Singh Thakur launched mobile application '108 HP' to facilitate efficient access to ambulances for medical emergencies.
- Aug 27, 2016
- GPS enabled mobile app of the Telangana Aarogyasri Healthcare Trust bagged 2016’s Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)’s healthcare excellence award.
- Maharashtra’s sixth Chess GM Shardul Gagare, and steeplechase specialist Lalita Babar chosen for Sports Journalists Association of Mumbai’s (SJAM) Golden Jubilee Annual Awards 2016.
- P Kumaran has been appointed as India's ambassdor to Qatar.
- Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni Left past Austraalia's Rickey Ponting to become captain of any national team in most number of cricket games (325th (ODI, T20, TEST)).
- West Bengal Legislative Assembly has passed a resolution changing the name of the State to Bengal in English and Bangla in Bengali.
- China has set up its own aircraft engine maker with registered capital of 50 billion yuan ($7.5 billion), in the latest effort to develop home-grown, high-tech businesses to compete in international markets. It will develop both military and commercial engines.
- Online marketplace Amazon launched India’s first dedicate online Telugu book store with a wide selection of over 10,000 Telugu titles.
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry visited India.
- Bipin Rawat has been appoinetd as Vice Chief of Indian Army.
- Leocadia I. Zak, Director os U.S. Trade and Development Agency visited India.
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways issued a Notification to free e rickshaws and e carts from permit requirements. Now, vehicles registered as e carts / e rickshaws will not require any permits. State Governments can still impose restrictions under appropriate traffic laws on plying of these vehicles in specific areas.
- Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) signed MoU with Comic Book Publisher Amar Chitra Katha to publish a special edition of comic book focusing on Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Yogeshwar Sangwan (India's Ambassador to Armenia) has been accredited as Ambassador to Georgia.
- Sunil Bharti Mittal has been re-appointed as the Chairman of telecom giant Bharti Airtel for 5 years.
- India will give assistance of Rs 4 Crore Nepali Rupees for construction of a Sanskrit school in eastern Nepal.
- NLC limited (Neyveli Lignite Corporation) will add over 6,821 megawatt (Mw) of power with investment of Rs 27,740 crores.
- Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) selected four investment banks (Nomura, SBI Caps, ICICI Securities and IDBI Capital) for proposed share sale in HUDCO (Housing & Urban Development Corporation Limited).
- Gurgaon based airline Vistara appointed Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone as brand ambassador.
- Sreekrishna temple in Guruvayur is included in Tourism Ministry’s Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spirituality Augmentation Drive (PRASAD).
- Director Goutam Ghosh's National award-winning film Shankhachil, an Indo-Bangla joint production has been selected for 40th Montreal World Film Festival.
- Aug 26, 2016
- Indian ecologist Bibhuti Lahkar (from Assam) become first Asian to be nominated for Heritage Heroes Award-2016 by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
- 6th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) 2016 held in Nairobi (Kenya). This is first time that this conference is held in Africa.
- India’s first textile university will be set-up in Surat (Gujarat) with an investment of approx 800-900 crores.
- Indian Navy has set-up a committee under Deputy Chief of Naval Staff Ashok Kumar to find out extent of Scorpene submarine data leak.
- T V S N Prasad committee on alternatives to pellet guns submitted its report. Committee was formed after casualties caused by pellet guns during ongoing unrest in Kashmir valley.
- 2016 BRICS Convention on Tourism will be held at Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh in September 2016 to promote intra-regional tourism.
- India’s first military heritage website “coloursofglory.org” has recently launched by Glory Foundation.
- 10-day long Velankanni our lady of health basilica annual feast held at Vellankan shrine in Tamil Nadu.
- As per Reserve Bank of India (RBI)’s annual report 2015-16, India’s GDP growth forecast for FY 17 is 7.6 %.
- US multinational banking firm Goldman Sachs predicted Indian economy growth rate at 7.9% in 2016-17.
- Government approved creating a Project Development Fund (PDF) for catalysing Indian economic presence in CLMV countries (Cambodia, Laos Myanmar and Vietnam), with a corpus of Rs 500 Crores. It will be operated through the EXIM Bank and will reside in Department of Commerce. CLMV countries (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam) have a unique position in regional value chains in Southeast Asia region as they offer a gateway for market access to China, European Union and other markets due to various trade agreements.
- Government approved dissolve Central Inland Water Transport Corporation Limited (CIWTC) as it has been incurring losses due to inherent limitation and infrastructure bottle necks and never could become viable company, since its founding in Feb 1967.
- Government approved MoU between Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) and CERT-UK.
- Late Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami has been selected for Asian Filmmaker of the Year Award at Busan (South Korea) International Film Festival.
- Toxic gas Di-ammonium phosphate (DPA) leaked from DAP Fertiliser Company Limited on the bank of Karnaphuli river in Bangladesh, injuring several Hundred people.
- Report by New World Wealth -
- India is 7th wealthiest country in world with total individual wealth in approx 5600 Billion USD.
- Top 5 Counties - US ( 48900 Billion USD), China (17400 Billion USD), Japan (15100 Billion USD), UK (9200 Billion USD), Germany (9100 Billion USD).
- Colombia government reached historic deal for ending a half-century long conflict with country’s biggest rebel group - FARC Rebels.
- India’s tennis player Sania Mirza topped ATP Women’s Doubles Tennis rankings along with partner, Barbora Strycova of Czech Republic.
- The ranking came after Saina Mirza and Monica Niculescu won Doubles title at Connecticut Open in USA.
- Government approved investments of over 27,000 crores in new highways and railway lines across the country to boost economic growth.
- A travel insurance cover of up to Rs10 lakh can be availed while booking a train ticket online by paying Just 92 Paise, from 31 August.
- Aug 25, 2016
- India successfully test fired its futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine using oxygen from atmosphere that could cut cost of the launches several fold and help in Indian Space Research Organisations bid to design advanced air breathing engines. India is fourth country to demonstrate flight testing of Scramjet Engine after the US, Russia and European Space Agency.
- Liam Fox, UK's Secretary of State for International Trade visited India.
- Penny Pritzker, USA's Secretary of Commerce visited India.
- Committee under Madhukar Gupta submitted its report about strengthening border protection and addressing the issue of gaps and vulnerability in border fencing along Indo-Pakistan Border.
- Gujarat became first state to distribute 2 crore LED Bulbs under UJALA Under UnnatJyoti programme. Gujarat reached this milestone in just 96 days and over 42 lakh households have already benefitted from scheme.
- India and USA signed Logistics Exchange Memorandum Of Agreement (LEMOA) that establishes basic terms, conditions, and procedures for reciprocal provision of Logistic Support, Supplies, and Services between armed forces of India and USA.
- India's first Joint Disaster Management Exercise named Prakampana (Cyclone) aimed at synchronising resources and efforts of all agencies involved in disaster management held at Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh).
- Prakampana is second Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) exercise as planned by Government. First Joint Exercise was ‘JALRAHAT that was conducted by Army at Narangi Cantt (Assam) in June 2016. Third HADR exercise will be 'SAHAYATA that will be conducted by Indian Air Force in September 2016 in Gujrat.
- PM Narendra Modi launched Saurashtra Narmada Irrigation (SAUNI) Project at Sanosara in Gujarat.
- Human Resource Ministry launched Indian Institute of Techonogy (IIT) Dharwad in Karnataka.
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) launched Unified Payments Interface (UPI) application, allowing customers to make easier real-time payments using smartphones.
- Reserve Bank of Indias allowed 21 banks UPI applications to go live on Google Play Store.
- Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is a flagship product of NPCI that will help India to move towards a cashless economy by allowing customers to send and receive money from their smartphones using virtual payments address without entering bank account details. It merges several banking features, seamless fund routing and merchant payments into one hood.
- Karnataka Bank launched KBL-SMARTz” a mobile application (app) built on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) platform.
- Automobile manufacturer Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd introduced DiGiSENSE as a cloud based technology solution to track vehicle information in real time.
- NASAs solar-powered Juno spacecraft successfully executed its first flyby of Jupiter, just 4,200 kilometres above clouds of our solar systems biggest planet. It traveled spped of 208,000 kilometres per hour.
- Dogri Poetess and novelist Padma Sachdev has been awarded Saraswati Samman for 2015, for her autobiography ‘Chitt-Chete.
- Second 1000 MW capacity reactor of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KKNPP) synchronised to southern power grid. It marks generation of electricity and its supply to the grid by second reactor of KKNPP. Plant had attained criticality in July 2016. With this, atomic power generation capacity of Nuclear Power Corp of India (NPCIL) crossed 5000 MW.
- Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) appointed Olympic silver medallist P. V. Sindhu as its honorary commandant and brand ambassador.
- Indian wrestler Yogeshwar Dutts bronze medal from 2012 London Summer Olympics has been upgraded to Silver. This upgradation comes after silver medalist late Besik Kudukhov (Russia)'s silver was taken off for failing a dope test. Kudukhov had died in a car crash in 2013 in southern Russia.
- Aug 24, 2016
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) asked banks to provide loans up to Rs 3 lakh at 7 % interest rate to Women Self-Help Group (SHG). This loan scheme must be provided under the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM)-Aajeevika scheme during 2015-16.
- Worlds first self-driving taxi service was launched in Singapore by nuTonomy, an autonomous vehicle software firm. nuTonomy became entity in world first to offer self-driving taxi rides to public. Each car is fitted with six sets of Lidar (Light Detection and Ranging), a detection system that uses lasers to operate like radar that constantly spins on the roof.
- National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) registered 9 new breeds of indigenous farm (livestock and poultry) animals.
- 9 newly registered breeds are Badri cow (Uttarakhand), Kodi Adu goat (Tamil Nadu), Teressa goat (Nicobar Island), Kendrapada sheep (Odisha), Chevaadu sheep (Tamil Nadu), Nicobari pig (NicobarIsland), Tenyi Vo pig (Nagaland), Doom pig (Assam) and Kaunayenchicken (Manipur). Total indigenous breeds of livestock in country now reached 160.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) e-box in Delhi.
- POCSO e-box is an online complaint management system for easy reporting of sexual offences against children and timely action against offenders under POCSO Act, 2012. It is an initiative of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) (www.ncpcr.gov.in).
- Pakistan will host 19th SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) Summit in Islamabad in November 2016.
- USA will create world’s largest protected marine reserve area named as Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument off the Hawaiian coast.
- Finance Ministry constituted 11 members committee to suggest steps to promote card payments with an aim to discourage cash transactions. Committee will be headed by Ratan P Watal (Principle Adviser for social sector in NITI Aayog).
- Scientists from National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention in Japan detected a rare deep-Earth tremor, known as an S (secondary) wave microseism. Microseisms are very faint tremors.
- Maharashtra Government has unveiled ambitious Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Expressway project in Mumbai. The 46,000-crore rupee ambitious project will create state-of-the art road connectivity within a period of three years and give a fillip to investment in the state.
- China launched its first Tibetan-language search engine ‘Yongzin’. In the Tibetan language, Yongzin means "master" or "teacher".
- World’s largest indoor theme park will opened in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) to attract tourists during scorching heat of desert summer.
- First Asian Science and Technology (S&T) Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) held in Thailand (Bangkok).Union Minister of Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju attended on India's Behalf.
- First BRICS Film Festival will be held at Sirifort Auditorium Complex in New Delhi in September 2016.
- Conference on “International Arbitration in BRICS: Challenges, Opportunities and Road ahead” held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- South Korea will be focus country at 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2016 to be held in Goa in November 2016.
- 2016 South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) finance ministers’ conference held in Islamabad (Pakistan), attended by Shaktikanta Das on India's Behalf.
- Turkey launched military operation Euphrates Shield against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) to liberate Syrian city of Jarablus on border Turkish Border.
- United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS) World Risk Report 2016 (Along with Bundnis Entwicklung Hilft and University of Stuttgart (Germany))-
- The index assessed the risk of disaster in 171 countries through the combined analysis of natural hazards and societal vulnerabilities.
- India has been ranked 77th out of 171 countries on World Risk Index 2016.
- List is topped by Island state of Vanuatu (Highest risk nation).
- Qatar is at 171st Place (Means It is safest in world from natural disasters).
- Karnataka will host 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBS) 2017 in Bengaluru for 3 days from January 7, 2017. Theme of 2017 Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is Redefined Engagement With Indian Diaspora.
- PBS convention is held on January 9th each year to commemorate return of M K Gandhi from South Africa in 1915.
- Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi inaugurated Uttarakhand's first animal birth control centre (ABC) in Dehradun. Government will take measures for Birth Control for stray dogs, whose population has been rising in state.
- Aug 23, 2016
- 23 August: International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and Its Abolition.
- Rio (Brazil) Summer Olympic Games 2016 Concluded -
- Stats -
- It was 31st Olympic Games, continuing since 1896.
- Motto of Rio Olympics 2016 - A New World.
- Vinicius is official mascot of 2016 Summer Olympics, and Tom is official mascot of 2016 Summer Paralympics ( to be held in Rio in September 2016).
- 11303 Athletes participated in 306 Events of 28 sports with 207 Nations participating.
- India at 2016 Rio Olympic Games -
- India sent its largest ever delegation (117 athletes) at Rio Olympics. It is 34 larger than their previous record of 83 athletes in 2012 in Summer Olympic history. Abhinav Bindra was Indian flag bearer in Opening Ceremony and Wrestiling Bronze Medalist Sakshi Malik was flag bearer in Closing Ceremony.
- India could manage 2 Medals - Sakshi Malik (Bronze Women's freestyle 58 kg, she defeated Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kyrgyzstan), P V Sindhu (Silver in Badminton Women's Singles, She lost to Carolina Marin (Spain)).
- Uttar Pradesh govt will honour wrestler Sakshi Malik with Rani Laxmi Bai award. It carries a cash prize of Rs. 3.11 lakh.
- Athletes carrying large expectations performed poorly, Inlcuding Jwala Gutta and Saina Nehwal (Badminton), Shhiva Thapa (Boxing), Mirabai chanu (Weightlifting), Jitu Rai and Abjhinav Bindra (Shooting), Yogeshwar Dutt (Wrestling).
- Although Some Indian Athletes Performed really well and came really close to a medal. This has generated many hopes of opening up new horizons for upcoming Olympics, that were previously untouched by India. These Athletes are -
- Dipa Karmakar - became first female gymnast from India to qualify for final vault event at the Olympics. And she finished 4th, missing medal by little margin.
- Kidambi Srikanth - Lost in Badminton Quarterfinals to 2 time Olympic champion Lin Dan of China. His fight was immense and he won second set gloriously after loosing first. Although he was defeated in third set, he has generated hopes for a better result next time.
- Aditi Ashok - India's golfer Aditi Ashok reached Finals of women's individual event. She stayed 41st.
- Lalita Babar - She reached finals of Women's 3000m steeplechase and finished 10th.
- Dattu Bhokanal - Indian rower Dattu Baban Bhokanal finished fourth in quarter-finals of men's single sculls.
- Other Athletes reaching finals - Sandeep Kumar (Men's 50km walk, Rank 35), Khushbir Kaur (Women's 20km walk, Rank 54), Thonnakkal Gopi (Men's marathon, Rank 25)
- Major Facts of 2016 Rio Olympic Games
- Medal Tally (Top 11 Nations) -
- India ranked 67th with 2 Medals.
- USA's Swimmer Michael Fred Phelps became most decorated Olympian of all time with total 28 Olympic medals, out of which 23 are gold medals. He also became first swimmer ever to win four consecutive golds in the same event (200m Butterfly).
- American swimmer Katie Ledecky set a new world record to fetch gold in women's 400 metres freestyle with time of 3 minutes 56.46 seconds.
- Jamaicas Sprinter Usain Bolt won Gold in 100 meters and 200 Metres at 2016 Rio Olympics and Team event of 400m Relay. He has now retired from olympics and is only athlete to have won Three Titles (100m individual, 200m individual, 400m relay) in Three successive Olympic Games - Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio 2016.
- USA won their 1000th Olmpic Gold Medal at Olympics with Simone Manuel winning 4x100 metres medley relay event.
- Ethiopia's Almaz Ayana broke world record in Olympic 10,000 metres title by finishing in 29 minutes 17.45 seconds. Previosu best was 29 Minutes 31 Seconds set by China's Wang Junxia in 1993.
- Poland’s Anita Wlodarczyk broke her own women’s hammer world record to win gold with winning mark of 82.29m.
- Winners in Main Events at RIO Olympics 2016 -
- Field Hockey -
- Male - Gold - Argentina, Silver - Belgium, Bronze - Germany
- Female - Gold - Great Britain, Silver - Netherlands, Bronze - Germany
- Football -
- Male - Gold - Brazil, Silver - Germany, Bronze - Nigeria
- Female - Gold - Germany, Silver - Sweden, Bronze - Canada
- Male - Gold - Denmark, Silver - France, Bronze - Germany
- Female - Gold - Russia, Silver - France, Bronze - Norway
- Male - Gold - USA, Silver - Serbia, Bronze - Spain
- Female - Gold - USA, Silver - Spain, Bronze - Serbia
- Male Singles - Gold - Chen Long (China), Silver - Lee Chong Wei (Malaysia), Bronze - Viktor Axelsen (Denmark)
- Female Singles - Gold - Carolina Marin (Spain), Silver - P V Sindhu (India), Bronze - Nozomi Okuhara (Japan)
- Male Singles - Gold - Andy Murray (Great Britain), Silver - Juan Martín del Potro (Argentina), Bronze - Kei Nishikori (Japan)
- Female Singles - Gold - Mónica Puig (Puerto Rico), Silver - Angelique Kerber (Germany), Bronze - Petra Kvitová (Czech Republic)
- Rugby Sevens
- Male - Gold - Fiji, Silver - Great Britain, Bronze - South Africa
- Female - Gold - Australia, Silver - New Zealand, Bronze - Canada
- Table Tennis
- Male Singles - Gold - Ma Long (China), Silver - Zhang Jike (China), Bronze - Jun Mizutani (Japan)
- Female Singles - Gold - Ding Ning (China), Silver - Li Xiaoxia (China), Bronze - Kim Song-i (North Korea)
- Male - Gold - Brazil, Silver - Italy, Bronze - USA
- Female - Gold - China, Silver - Serbia, Bronze - USA
- Scientist P D Gupta has been appointed as Vice Chancellor of Mumbai-based Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI).
- As per report by Assocham, India is 3rd in terms of number of technology-driven start-ups in world, with USA and UK at first two places.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) signed MoU with Microsoft India to offer telecom and IT solutions for big businesses.
- Book Selection Day, written by Aravind Adiga has been released.
- Book One Indian Girl, authored by Chetan Bhagat has been released.
- Indian Railways partnered with Google for digitizing and showcasing its heritage on digital platforms.
- A team of USA researchers decoded brain activity patterns of word meanings within sentences using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to measure human brain activation. Researchers can now predict 70% brain activity patterns and it may help treat persons with brain injury and stroke patients to communicate better.
- Scientists for first time developed LASER (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) from fluorescent jellyfish proteins that were grown in bacteria. It is a breakthrough in so-called polariton lasers operating at room temperature.
- A Polariton laser works by passing photons back and forth between excited molecules. Unlike conventional lasers, photons in Polariton laser are released and reabsorbed within the device itself before zooming out as laser light.
- Major Earthquake hit European Nation Italy.
- Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore visited India.
- First Children Court of South India launched at Nampally Criminal Courts Complex in Hyderabad (Telangana) to fast disposal of cases related to children. Telangana is third state to have a child friendly court after Goa and Delhi.
- Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo named UEFA Best Player in Europe for 2015-16. It is is second time he won this award after 2013 - 14.
- National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) constituted five-member review committee under Abhinav Bindra to probe Indian shooters Poor Performance in Rio Olympic Games 2016.
- DRDO scientist G. Satheesh Reddy won first IEI-IEEE Award for Engineering Excellence-2015.
- Aug 22, 2016
- N. Ramachandran, President of Indian Olympic Association has been awarded with Olympic Order for outstanding services to Olympic movement.
- Noted Indian film actor Kamal Haasan has been selected by France for its prestigious Chevalier de LOrdre Arts et Lettres (also known as Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters).
- PM Narendra Modi and Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani jointly inaugurated restored Stor Palace in Kabul through tele conferencing.
- So far India has provided over $2 billion into Afghanistan reconstruction projects and humanitarian aid.
- Government announced National Sports Awards 2016 -
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- PV Sindhu (Badminton), Sakshi Malik (Wrestling), Dipa Karmakar (Gymnastics) and Jitu Rai (Shooting).
- Dronacharya Award
- Nagapuri Ramesh (Athletics),Sagar Mal Dhayal (Boxing), Raj Kumar Sharma (Cricket),Bishweshwar Nandi (Gymnastics), S. Pradeep Kumar (Swimming) and Mahabir Singh (Wrestling).
- Arjuna Award
- Rajat Chauhan (Archery), Lalita Babar (Athletics),Sourav Kothari (Billiards & Snooker), Shiva Thapa (Boxing),Ajinkya Rahane (Cricket), Subrata Paul (Football), Rani (Hockey),Raghunath V.R. (Hockey), Gurpreet Singh (Shooting), Apurvi Chandela (Shooting), Soumyajit Ghosh (Table Tennis),Vinesh (Wrestling), Amit Kumar (Wrestling), Sandeep Singh Mann (Para-Athletics) and Virender Singh (Wrestling).
- Dhyan Chand Award
- Satti Geetha (Athletics), Sylvanus Dung Dung (Hockey) and Rajendra Pralhad Shelke (Rowing).
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy
- Punjabi University, Patiala.
- Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar
- Seven organisations selected for Rashtriya Khel Protsahana Purushkar 2016 - Reserve Bank of India, India Infrastructure Finance Corporate Limited, Subroto Mukherjee Sports Education Society, Hockey Citizen Group, Dadar Parsee Zorostrian cricket club, Usha School of Athletics and STAIRS.
- Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2015
- Tashi Malik, Nungshi Malik, Debasish Biswas , Ritu Kishor Kedia B. Rajkumar and Harbhajan Singh.
- Maharashtra became first state in country to draft its own internal security legislation Maharashtra Protection of Internal Security Act (MPISA), 2016. It focuses on maintaining law and order and combating terrorism, insurgency, caste-related violence and communalism in state.
- International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) announced that 2016 Kabaddi World Cup will be hosted in Ahmedabad (Gujarat) in October 2016.
- Andhra Pradesh became first state to launch DNA Index System (DIS) for DNA (Deoxyribonucleac acid) profiling of criminals. The system uses latest DNA technology tool (RapidHIT DNA System) developed by IntegenX of USA. It creates DNA profiles within 90 to 120 minutes compared to currently available technologies which take at least two days or more.
- Maharashtra and Telangana signed agreements for irrigation projects to be constructed on Godavari (Medigadda barrage ), Pranahita (Tummadihatti barrage) and Painganga rivers (Chanaka-Korata barrage).
- President Pranab Mukherjee launched Akashvani Maitree Channel and its website in Bengali language for listeners in West Bengal, Bangladesh and adjoining areas. Akashvani Maitree Channel is an initiative of Kolkata Akashvani Kendra for blending content both from India and Bangladesh and preserving Bengali culture.
- Government launched Accessible E-Library ‘Sugamya Pustakalaya’ for Divyang under Prime Minister’s Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
- Rio 2016 Bronze Medalist Wrestler Sakshi Malik named as Haryana’s brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao (save daughter, educate daughter) campaign.
- Government approved introduction of Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill 2016 to banning commercial surrogacy in India. Bill will ensure effective regulation of surrogacy, prohibit commercial surrogacy and allow ethical surrogacy to the needy infertile couples.
- 2016 Youth Voters’ Festival will be held in Nagaland in September 2016.
- Book Ocean of Churn: How the Indian Ocean Shaped Human History, authored by Sanjeev Sanyal has been released.
- ICICI Bank launched Asia’s first payment service iMobile SmartKeys using a smartphone keyboard to make mobile payments easier.
- Aug 21, 2016
- India Based Online Advertising Firm Media.net has been accquired by China based Beijing Miteno Communication Technology for $900 Million (Approx 5800 Crores Rupees). Media.net was founded by serial entrepreneur Divyank Turakhia (Age 34).
- B Navnit and V Sheshadri have been appointed as Joint Secretaries in Prime Minister's Office.
- Dilip Sharma has been appointed as Director General of Election Commission of India.
- Sellapan Ramanathan, Former President of Singapore passed away. He was of Tamil Indian descent.
- Maharashtra became first state to sign an MoU with ministry of civil aviation and Airports Authority of India for Regional Connectivity Scheme to develop 10 airports.
- Delhi will have a sprawling new Aerospace Museum close to international airport focused on India’s rich aviation history.
- Ministry of Labour and Employment renamed Central Board for Workers Education as Dattopant Thengadi National Board for Workers Education and Development.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (Mumbai) signed an ECB (External Commercial Borrowings) agreement of USD 400 Million with State Bank of India and Development Bank of Singapore, to be uutilised for expanding network of roads that connect to its port projects and other aspects.
- Germany to provide EUR 3,000,000 (22.6 Crores INR) funds for enhancing collaboration with India in area of skill development, as per an agreement between Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship of India and German International Cooperation (GIZ). This new project aims to foster conditions which will help create and improve cooperative workplace-based vocational training in Indias industrial clusters.
- Sports Minister Constituted 2 Member Committee (Onkar Kedia and Shri Vivek Narayan) to inquire into allegations of Marathon runner O.P.Jaisha that she collapsed at end of marathon run in Rio Olympics 2016, as there were no Indian officials to provide her with water and energy drinks at refreshment points.
- Book Patriots, Poets and Prisoners: Selections from Ramananda Chatterjee's The Modern Review, 1907-1947 edited by Shri Anikendra Sen, Shri Devangshu Datta and Ms. Nilanjana S. Roy has been released.
- New MOU Approved
- MoU with Myanmar in field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
- Agreement and Protocol with Cyprus for Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion.
- Air Services Agreement (ASA) with Fiji.
- MoU with South Africa to establish cooperation in Grassroots Innovation.
- Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine & Homoeopathy (PCIM&H) under Ministry of AYUSH and United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) signed MOU for cooperation in Traditional medicine
- A.R. Kidwai, former Governor of Bihar, West Bengal, Haryana and Rajasthan passed Away.
- Aug 20, 2016
- 20 August - World Mosquito Day.
- Urjit R Patel has been appointed as New Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for a period of 3 years with effect from 4th September, 2016. He is 24th Governor of RBI.
- National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) of Ministry of AYUSH launched National campaign on Medicinal Plants at State Institute of Agriculture Management (Jaipur, Rajasthan).
- 2nd Meeting of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa) Ministers for Disaster Management held in Udaipur (Rajasthan).
- Scientists discovered Gymnothorax indicus (proposed name Indian unpatterened moray), a new species of eel (a snake-like fish) in northern Bay of Bengal region along West Bengal coast.
- Chinese scientists (Xiamen University and Peking University ) discovered a small molecule named XMU-MP-1 that can regenerate tissues and help eliminate transplants of some organs such as liver, intestines and skin. It was found that it has ability to inhibit the activity of two enzymes MST1 and MST2, central component of this pathway which normally prevent cells from proliferating.
- Aug 19, 2016
- 19 August - World Humanitarian Day. 2016 Theme is One Humanity. 2016 WHD digital campaign is The World Youd Rather.
- Former FIFA President Joao Havelange passes away.
- Shashi Shekhar Committee submitted its report about damage caused to the Yamuna flood plains due to World Culture Festival organised by Sri Sri Ravishankar Led Art Of Living (AOL) in March 2016 along River Yamuna in New Delhi.
- State Bank of India (SBI) board approved merger of five SBI associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) with itself.
- Banks to be marged are - State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Patiala, State Bank of Travancore and Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
- Merger will create a huge entity with an asset base of 37 lakh crore rupees or over 555 billion US dollars.
- Merged entity will have 22500 branches and 58000 ATMs serving a customer base of over 50 crore.
- Merger will make SBI as one of the top 50 banks in the world as currently no Indian bank features in top 50 banks in world.
- Myanmar announced to support for Chinas ambitious One Belt and One Road (OBOR) connectivity initiative along ancient Silk Road, during visit of Myanmars State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi to China.
- India hosted 3rd edition of World Trauma Congress (WTC) in New Delhi.
- 7th edition of Mountain Echoes Literary Festival 2016 held in Thimpu (Bhutan) with focus on climate change, women’s voices and travel writing.
- Aug 18, 2016
- Federal Bank became first private bank to start distributing gold coins made by Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation of India (MMTCI). Gold coins are of 24 karat purity, 999 fineness and has National Emblem of Ashok Chakra engraved on one side and face of M K Gandhi.
- Kerala govt allotted 10,000 crores for government schools for next 5 years. As part of this, 60,000 new hi-tech class rooms will be set up.
- Alibaba Group, along with Crossword and Ratna Nidhi Charitable Trust launched Mission Million Books as an initiative inviting Indians to donate textbooks and educational material for underprivileged.
- Federal Bank partnered with Chillr mobile banking application that connects directly to a person’s bank account and enables instant money transfers, bill payments and e-commerce payments in a very secure manner.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOC) signed MoU for industrial use of treated water. This helps in establishment of STP in Mathura which will provide treated water for industrial use.
- Hindi scholar and writer Sunita Jain has been conferred 25th Vyas Samman 2015 for her poetry collection Kshama". She was awarded this honor in Feb 2016.
- Seven Indian companies named in a carbon-clean list of 200 largest companies worldwide ranked by their total clean-energy revenues. The list is topped by Japan's Toyota Motor. Top of Indian companies is Suzlon Energy at 68 rank for its wind farms.
- Former Cricketer and Rajya Sabha MP Sachin Tendulkar selected Donja village in Osmanabad district of Maharashtra for development under Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna (SAGY).
- Tourism Ministry selected PM Narendra Modi as ambassador of Incredible India campaign. Also, PM Modi's monogrammed suit worn by him during meeting with American President Barack Obama last year, has been sold for Rs 4.31 crore, making it a Guinness World Record as most expensive suit sold.
- Indian-American woman academic Renu Khator inducted into Texas Women's Hall of Fame for making significant contribution for benefit of USA' second largest state - Texas.
- Forbes' Change The World List -
- Cipla (46th) and Godrej (48th) are Only Indian firms in list that has been topped by British pharma giant GlaxoSmithKline. List also has India-born Ajay Banga's Mastercard (7th).
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) approved wage hike for Artisans as 5.50 rupees instead of 4 rupees per hank with an additional 10 % Market Development Assistance.
- Kerala government approved new debt relief scheme for low income and poor people who face threat of revenue recovery proceedings after they fail to repay loans from various institutions under he government.
The scheme will cause burden of Rs 40 crore and will benefit over 10,000 persons.
- SK Sharma (Chairman of Bharat Elecrtronics Limited) has been awarded as Most Enterprising CEO in Electronics Sector by Indo Global Business Council (IGBC).
- Aug 17, 2016
- Dmitry Rogozin, Deputy Prime Minister of Russia visited India.
- BRICS women parliamentarian’s forum meeting held in Jaipur (Rajasthan).
- Intel unveiled Project Alloy, a device that creates merged reality. Project Alloy is a headset that uses RealSense technology to enable people to use their hands to interact with elements of the virtual world without using cables.
- Merged reality is a new way of experiencing virtual reality and real world together. It digitises real world and allows people to experience virtual world without coming into conflict with real world.
- Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav has been banned from all competitive sporting events for 4 years by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne (Switzerland). He was banned following an appeal by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) as there was no evidence to accept his claim that his food was spiked by banned doping substance.
- State of ICT in Asia and the Pacific 2016: Uncovering the Widening Broadband Divide report by United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) -
- India ranks 39th in terms of fixed broadband adoption in the list of 53 Asia Pacific countries. India ranks lower than countries such as Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Bangladesh in fixed broadband subscriptions per 100 inhabitants in 2015. In India, just 1.35 % of its citizens have subscribed to fixed broadband service in 2015.
- Hong Kong, New Zealand, Japan, Macao, Australia and Singapore topped the list.
- Fixed broadband penetration in Asia and the Pacific is below the worlds average of 11.2 subscriptions per 100 inhabitants in 2015.
- In 2005, ESCAP region constituted 38.1% of the global total fixed broadband subscriptionsm, followed by Europe (28.6%) and North America (26.5%).
- Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan launched Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in West Bengal, a scheme to provide clean cooking fuel to women belonging to 'Below Poverty Line' (BPL) households.
- PMUY was launched at Ballia (Uttar Pradesh) with an aim to provide LPG connections to 5 Crore BPL households by 2019 and is a part of larger programme of adding 10 Crore new LPG connections by 2019.
- Auto component maker Spark Minda group formed joint venture with China's Shandong Beiqi Hai Hua Automobile Firm, called Minda China Plastic Solutions Ltd.
- Tata AutoComp Systems acquired leading global engine cooling supplier - TitanX.
- Larsen & Toubro got contract as Implementation Partner to convert Nagpur (Maharashtra), into country's first large-scale integrated Smart City.
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa announced Rs 1,000 increase in freedom fighters pension from Rs 11,000.
- Hindustan Unilever acquired Swedish mobile air purification technology firm Blueair.
- Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) discovered an ancient camping site dating 8500 BC in Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), indicating humans were camping in the area 10,500 years ago.
- India batsman Virender Sehwag has been awarded honorary life membership of Marylebone Cricket Club (England).
- Uttar Pradesh government approved a Metro Rail project for Allahabad city. Detailed project plan to be laid out later.
- Govt imposed penalty of USD 380 million (approx 3500 crores) on Reliance Industries for producing less than targeted natural gas from KG-D6 fields. Total penalty for missing target in 5 fiscal years beginning April 1, 2010, now is USD 2.76 billion.
- Aug 16, 2016
- MOU signed between Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS) and University of Latvia for establishment of an academic chair in Ayurveda.
- Francis Gurry, Director General of World Intellectual Property organisation visited India. He launched WIPO Innovation Index report 2016.
- Deputy Prime Minister of Nepal, Bimalendra Nidhi visited India.
- National Academy of Indian Railways (NAIR) Vadodara signed MoU with Maharaja Sayajirao(MS) University (Vadodara) for awarding MBA degree in specific Railway fields to railway probationary officers belonging to Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS), Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS) and Indian Railway Store Service (IRSS).
- Research and innovation firm Fifth Generation Technologies (specialisation in building real time intelligence solutions) signed agreement with Anna University (Chennai) for conducting research to arrive at a useful prediction of remaining life of critical equipment that are working in high temperature environments.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank started an ‘Innovation Lab in Bengaluru to tap into best technology that impacts its operations, and is open to investing in startups.
- China began operating its indigenously designed bullet trains which can clock 350 kmph speed, the country’s first passenger train using Electric Multiple Units technology.
- World’s longest and highest glass bridge opened to visitors. It is concreted with 99 panes of 3 layer transparent glasses, hanging between two steep cliffs 300 metres altitude is maintained from the ground. The bridge has set 10 world records spanning its design and construction.
- India extended help of USD 1 million to African Nation Zimbabwe, responding to an appeal by Zimbabwe nation for help to deal with severe drought caused by El Nino phenomenon.
- Tata Power Solar commissioned a 100 MW solar project for NTPC in Anantapur (Andhra Pradesh). It is biggest solar project commissioned using domestically manufactured solar cells and modules.
- Manipal Technologies Ltd (MTL) secure print solutions organization acquired CrossFraud - an advanced fraud detection and anti-money laundering solution from Bengaluru-based Saraansh Software Solutions.
- Bimalendra Nidhi, Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister of Nepal visited India.
- State bank of India and Korea Development Bank signed a memorandum of understanding to enhance business synergies.
- Indian's pharmaceutical company Cipla appointed Umang Vohra as managing director (MD) & chief executive officer (CEO).
- Gautam Eknath Thakur has been elected Chairman of the leading co- operative Bank - Saraswat Bank.
- Lionel Messi announced that he will play on for Argentina, reversing his decision in June to retire from international football.
- Microsoft acquired Beam, an interactive livestreaming startup that lets viewers watch and play along with game streamers in real time.
- IRDAI imposed Rs 35 lakh fine on Bharti AXA General Insurance Company for violation of various norms including outsourcing activities and corporate governance guidelines.
- South Indian Bank and SBI Card announced launch of co-branded credit cards on VISA platform - South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) won 5 Medals for Young Scientists award 2016, awarded by the Indian National Science Academy (INSA). Winners from IISC are - Prabeer Barpanda, Sai Siva Gorthi, Praveen Kumar, Anshu Pandey and Chandan Saha.
- Aug 15, 2016
- 15 August 216 - India's 70th Independence Day.
- M. S. Subbulakshmi, legendary Indian carnatic vocalist, honoured at United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). UN also issued a postal ticket in honor of M. S. Subbulakshmi.
- Noted music composer AR Rahman honoured with theTamil Ratna Award by New York based Tamil Sangam.
- Independence Day Film Festival (IDFF) at Siri Fort Auditorium in New Delhi, which will be continued till August 18, 2016.
- Telangana received highest number of gallantry medals for police personnel in the country on the eve of Independence Day.
- First National Conference of Investigation Agencies held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- China and 10 member countries of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) agreed to form a framework for a code of conduct to ease tension in disputed South China Sea. Agreement was reached during a meeting at Inner Mongolia in northern China.
- Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) will document stories relating to villages and towns across India into an encyclopedia, aimed at connecting people better with oral and folk traditions. ICHR will also undertake study of princely States of modern India and studies to fill gaps between Harappan civilisation (first Indian urbanisation) and the 6th century BC (second urbanisation).
- Assam Assembly passed Amusements and Betting Tax (Amendment) Bill 2016 to boost local film industry.
- Bill Proposes to fix service charge at a maximum of Rs 12 per ticket, which is as high as Rs 40 at present.
- Raised government tax to 30 % on service charge from earlier 20 %.
- A cess of 1 Rupee will be levied on each ticket for creating a welfare fund for film and theatre sectors.
- Power Ministry launched ‘e-Trans & ‘DEEP e-bidding web portals for electronic bidding and e-reverse auction of tariff-based electricity transmission projects, developed by Rural Electrification Corporation Transmission Projects Company Limited (RECTPCL). These portals seek to enhance transparency in power transmission sector.
- e-Trans - A Web platform for e-bidding and e-reverse auction for Tariff Based Competitive Bidding (TBCB) in transmission projects.
- DEEP (Discovery of Efficient Electricity Price) e-Bidding portal - will provide a common e-bidding platform with e-reverse auction facility to facilitate nation-wide power procurement through a wider network in order to bring transparency in power procurement.
- TARANG Mobile Application and portal - ‘TARANG (Transmission App for Real Time Monitoring and Growth) Mobile Application and portal will be used to monitor execution of under construction power transmission projects.
- Worlds longest aircraft Airlander 10 made its first flight in Cardington in England, filled with helium gas. It is 92-metre-long and 43.5m wide and can fly at up to 4,880 metres and reach speeds of 148 kilometres per hour.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kanpur adopted five villages in Uttar Pradesh under Namami Gange programme - Ramel Nagar, Khoyra Katree, Pratapur, Hari Hindpur, and Katri Ladhva Khera.
- Noted Odia actor and director Gobind Tej passed away.
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) launched a mobile app (developed by Facebook for free) that integrates various social media handles of over 170 Indian missions on a common platform.
- Researchers from Central Salt & Marine Chemicals Research Institute (CSMCRI) Bhavanagar, (Gujarat) developed photocatalyst that can degrade 3 industrial dyes (methyl orange, methylene blue and reactive black-5) in presence of sunlight. Photocatalyst was developed using titanium dioxide doped with red seaweed polymer carrageenan (a substance extracted from purple and red seaweeds).
- Conventionally, titanium dioxide was used for photocatalytic degradation of industrial dyes, but it took long time to degrade dyes.
- Maharashta became first state to launch Indias first comprehensive ‘Crime Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS) in Mumbai, through operationalisation of 34 cyber laboratories across state in order to combat growing cybercrimes. CCTNS is developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC) Pune.
- Ministry of Mines launched portal for Star Rating of Major Mineral Mines with an aim to promote sustainable mining. Portal was developed by IBM (Indian Bureau sof Mining) through NISG (National Institute of Smart Government), Hyderabad.
- First Indian TV channel on higher education and skill development been launched by Millionlights (education content provider) in partnership with DEN Manoranjan Satellite in Pune (Maharashtra).
- Syndicate Bank launched digital transformation program “Project Ananya” to focus on improved customer service and to offer latest in digital banking services.
- National Association of Software and Services (NASSCOM) launched its startup warehouse at Sunrise Startup Village at Rushikonda in Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh).
- Book The Gospel of Yudas authored by K.R. Meera has been released.
- Book Police and Counter Insurgency — The Untold Story of Tripura’s COIN Campaign has been authored by Kuldeep Kumar.
- Edgar Lungu has been re-elected as President of Zambia.
- Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) 2016. IFFM is a Victorian Government initiative that aims to strengthen ties between Indian film industry and Victoria.
- Theme is Women Empowerment.
- Best Actress - Sonam Kapoor (Neerja).
- Best Actor - Nawazuddin Siddiqui (Raman Raghav 2.0)
- Best Director - ShakunBatra.
- Best Indian Film - Thithi.
- Lifetime achievement award - Rishi Kapoor.
- 12 day Sailing campaign Jal Tarang has been started from Bilaspur (Himachal Pradesh), aimed at strengthening national unity and integrity.
- Noted Malayalam script writer T A Razzaq (58) passed away.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Cornell University and INSEAD's 2016 Global Innovation Index (GII) (9th report) -
- Theme of this year’s GII is Winning with global innovation. Report Highlighted European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN)'s Innovation Initiatives.
- List is topped by Switzerland, followed by Sweden, UK, US, Finland and Singapore.
- India is ranked 66 th (Major improvement from 81 in 2015).
- Among BRICS - Brazil (69), Russia (43), China (25), South Africa (54).
- P Shanmugam ( from Central Leather Research Institute) won 2016 Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award for meritorious services in Higher Education by Government of Tamil Nadu. It consists a certificate, 5 lakh cheque and 8 gram gold medal.
- New Governors Appointed -
- Najma A. Heptulla - Manipur.
- Banwarilal Purohit - Assam.
- VP. Singh Badnore - Punjab.
- Jagdish Mukhi - Lieutenant Governor of UT of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Aug 14, 2016
- Chinese scientists performed worlds first genetic editing trial on humans in an attempt to find a cure for lung cancer, by injecting cells that have been modified using the CRISPR-Cas9 gene-editing technique into the patients.
- CRISPR short form of clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats. It allows scientists to selectively edit genome parts and replace them with new DNA stretches.
- Researchers from United States developed a mechanism to convert greenhouse gas (GHG) Carbon dioxide (CO2) into carbon monoxide (CO) that can be recycled into usable fuel. Mechanism was developed by US Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory and University of Illinois at Chicago. It is based on natural photosynthesis process that take place in green plants in which CO2 is converted into sugars.
- Indias Dipika Pallikal won PSA Australian Squash Open by defeating Mayar Hany of Egypt.
- Sri Lanka and China signed a tripartite agreement for construction of a Financial City Centre in Colombo.
- Government launched first phase of Smart Ganga City programme in 10 cities located along River Ganga - Haridwar, Rishikesh, Mathura, Varanasi, Kanpur, Allahabad, Lucknow, Patna, Sahibganj and Barrackpore.
- India's first Nuclear Suppliers' insurance policy for Right to Recourse has been unveiled by India Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP). INIP is 27th global nuclear insurance pool which was launched by General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re) in association with New India Assurance Co (NIAC). Indian Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP) of 1,500 crore rupees was launched as per mandatory provision under Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act (CLND), 2010. The pool provides capacity for insurance coverage to operators and suppliers for any nuclear liability towards third party.
- Noted Tamil poet and lyricist Na Muthukumar passed away.
- Manjula Chellur has been selected as new Chief Justice of Bombay High Court.
- India’s first BIO-CNG plant producing CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) from agricultural residue inaugurated in Pune (Maharashtra).
- Union Bank of India (UBI) launched an Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) based *99# mobile application for their customers for basic banking needs, in partnership with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). It can be used even without internet, is available in 10 languages and provides basic banking facilities like checking account balance, sending money, Mobile PIN (MPIN) management.
- Unstructured Supplementary Service Data is a GSM based technology i.e. used to send text between a mobile phone and an application program in network. It is sometimes referred to as Quick Codes or Feature codes. It is a protocol used by GSM cellular telephones to communicate with the service providers computers.
- Government constituted a Committee under Pradeep Kumar Sinha (Cabinet Secretary), on Trade Facilitation (NCTF) to develop pan-India road map for trade facilitation, in line with World Trade Organisation (WTO’s) Trade Facilitation Agreement (FTA).
- Bihar State Legislature has unanimously ratified the The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 for introduction of Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime in the country. Assam was first to ratify GST.
- China launched worlds first quantum satellite dubbed as Quantum Experiments at Space Scaler (QUESS) satellite, nicknamed as Micius after a 5th century BC Chinese philosopher. It will help China to establish hack-proof communications system by transmitting uncrackable keys from space to ground.
- Government allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections. Aadhaar enabled e-KYC seeks to make online process of application and authentication faster and simpler for subscribers.
- First South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Youth Parliamentarians Conference on Peace and Harmony for Development held in Islamabad (Pakistan).
- Aug 13, 2016
- Priti Patel, UK Secretary of State for International Development visited India.
- Noted spiritual guru and head of Bochasanvasi Akshar Purushottam Sansthan of Swaminarayan sect, HH Pramukh Swami Maharaj passed away.
- Independence day Defence Service Medals -
- Ashok Chakra - Havildar Hangpan Dada of Assam Regiment /35th Battalion of Rashtriya Rifles. Havildar Hangpan Dada killed 3 terrorists in J & K before attaining martyrdom.
- Shaurya Chakra - Gursevek Singh Indian Air Force (Security). He was inducted for special operations at Air Force Station Pathankot. During Intrusion by Pakistani Terrorists on 02 January 2016, he engaged terrorists in a fierce exchange of fire for 25 minutes until forces arrived. He attained martyrdom but successfully prevented terrorists from entering technical area of Air Force Station, ensuring safety of all aircrafts.
- Vayu Sena Medal - Squadron Leader Bhavesh Kumar Dubey and Abhishek Singh Tanwar.
- BARC has developed a simple and cost effective kit for onsite determination of Cr(VI) that provides much needed solution to measure level of Chromium contamination in water.
- Chromium is widely used in various industries like leather, steel, chrome plating, paint manufacturing, wood preservation etc.
- Chromium exists as Trivalent Chromium Cr(III) and Hexavalent Chromium Cr(VI). Chromium Cr(VI) is toxic and World Health Organization has classified it as carcinogenic and can cause stomach ulcers and cancers and damage to kidneys and liver.
- Indian standard IS10500 allows permissible concentration of Cr(VI) in drinking water is 50 microgram per litre while US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends lower permissible concentration of 10 microgram per liter.
- Process involves adding a specified amount of specific reagents to water and identifying developed colour that appears within 5 minutes. Cost is around Rs 16 per sample that was previously around Rs 100 per sample.
- technology of the BARC kit for Cr(VI) detection has been transferred to LTEK Industries, Nagpur.
- Minister for Health & Family Welfare J P Nadda inaugurated 3 Affordable Medicines and Reliable Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) outlets at North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) Shillong, Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) Imphal and All India Institute Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Jodhpur, To reduce expenditure incurred by common patients on treatment of cancer and heart diseases.
- Farooq Khan has been appointed as Administrator of Union Territory of Lakshadweep.
- Bangladesh Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu visited India. India and Bangladesh agreed to jointly produce documentary on 1971 war of Independence of Bangladesh and All India Radio will launch Akashvani Maitree.
- Government will constitute a Committee headed by Secretary in Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries (Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare) and a Technical Committee to be headed by Director of National Institute of Animal Nutrition and Physiology Banguluru (Currently Raghavendra Bhatta), on issues related to Feed and Fodder Development in country.
- Deputy Minister of Industry & Trade of Russia, Alexander Potapov visited India for 5th meeting of India-Russia Working Group on Modernization and Industrial Cooperation.
- India Post Payments Bank Limited received Certificate of Incorporation from Registrar of Companies, Ministry of Corporate Affairs under Companies Act 2013. This would be first PSU under Department of Posts. Department of Posts is expected to complete roll out of its branches all over country by September 2017.
- Supreme Court directed all dealers of Delhi-NCR to charge 1% Environment Protection Charge on diesel vehicles of engine capacity over 2000 cc. Union Bank of India has been entrusted with duty of collecting this surcharge.
- Central Government will provide Special Assistance of Rs.1,976.50 crore to Andhra Pradesh during 2016-17.
- Indian Oil Corporation sigend MOU with Roads and Highways Department of Bangladesh on Route Permit for carrying Petroleum Goods via Bangladesh.
- Delcy Rodriguez, Minister of External Affairs, and Eulogio del Pino, Minister of Petroleum of Venezuela visited India.
- Researchers from Pune-based National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS) successfully isolated cancer stem cells that cause skin cancer. They demonstrated that Andrographolide isolated and purified from Andrographis paniculata (a herb) found in India is effective in inhibiting tumour growth both in skin cancer and lung metastasis in mice.
- Aug 12, 2016
- 12 August - International Youth Day (IYD). 2016 Theme is The Road to 2030: Eradicating Poverty and Achieving Sustainable Consumption and Production.
- 12 August - World Elephant Day.
- ITCs health & hygiene brand Savlon appointed badinton player Saina Nehwal as its brand ambassador.
- Intel acquired California-based deep learning startup Nervana Systems, run by Indian-origin entrepreneur, Naveen Rao. With this acquisition, Intel will strengthen its reach into Artificial Intelligence.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals limited (BHEL) appointed Akhil Joshi as Director (Power).
- Bill Maris, chief of Google Ventures resigned.
- Birender Singh Yadav has been appointed High Commissioner of India to Ghana (West Africa).
- Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) made Flipkarts mobile site available in its mobile banking app to gives customer a secure in-app shopping environment.
- Hindustan Copper Limited inaugurated India's first facility to produce nickel. The new facility - Nickel, Copper, and Acid Recovery Plant is located at Indian Copper Complex (ICC) at Ghatshila in Jharkhand.
- Capacity of this plant is initially 50 tonnes per annum and Annual demand for pure nickel in India is around 45,000 tonnes.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) sanctioned 26 crore to Punjab government, for tackling waterlogging by constructing lift schemes in low-lying areas, village ponds, and other allied works.
- 12-day long Krishna Pushkar festival began in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. The festival comes once in every 12 years.
- Assam became first state to ratify Goods and Services Tax Constitutional Amendment Bill.
- Parliament has cleared GST bill to bring a uniform indirect tax regime in India. Now it awaits ratification of at least 15 states to make it a law. Centre seeks to roll-out GST by April 1, 2017.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has given his approval to set up 6 new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in - Jammu, Tirupati, Palakkad (Kerala), Goa, Dharward (Karnataka) and Bhilai (Chhattisgarh).
- This law also brought Indian School of Mines (ISM), Dhanbad under its ambit, to be called now as Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines) Dhanbadd.
- President also gave his assent for establishment of a National Institute of Technology (NIT) in Andhra Pradesh.
- RBI will transfer to central government its surplus profit of Rs 65,876 crore which is little lower than amount given last year.
- India's First touch and feel garden for visually impaired people in country has been inaugurated near Calicut University campus by Kerala government.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (HUPA) approved construction of 37013 houses for urban poor in Karnataka and Haryana with an investment of 1491 crore rupees (central assistance of 569 crores).
- Nagaland Government approved 33 % reservation to women in Urban Local Bodies (ULBs).
- Odisha government made Aadhar Card mandatory for procurement of paddy in the state, to maintain transparency and ensure quick payment of dues.
- Noted Pakistani Cricketer Hanif Mohammad passed away, Also known as pakistani Little Master.
- RBI introduced a policy of 'zero liability' for customers in third-party frauds if they are reported within 3 days. RBI announced it after being Concerned over rise in complaints about unauthorized electronic transactions. In cases where victim notifies fraud between 4 to 7 days, liability will be capped at Rs 5,000.
- Aug 11, 2016
- 11 August - Daughter's day.
- Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation launched a short film series An Open Mind, in honour of those who are driving positive behaviour change in their communities across country by helping eliminate open defecation and adopt safe sanitation practices.
- Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs Arun Jaitley launched 2 initiatives of Ministry of MSME - MSME Databank Portal (http://www.msmedatabank.in ) and Online Finance Facilitation Web Portal, during 14th Meet of National Board of MSME. Databank will save efforts and money required for physical Census.
- Databank will be used for public procurement purposes and PSUs will make use of data for procuring from MSMEs.
- Objective of databank is to be source of information of MSMEs of India, including their credit and technology, requirement in terms of raw material and marketing, etc.
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology (SCTIMST) (Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala) signed agreemet for developing ‘Deep Brain Stimulator’ (DBS). DBS involves implanting electrodes within certain areas of brain and regular electrical pulses generated by a pacemaker-like device placed under skin in upper chest regulates the abnormal impulses of the brain. DBS is used in typical neurological conditions of Essential tremor, Parkinson's disease and Dystonia.
- Government approved liberalization of foreign investment norms for non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) to improve ease of doing business. Foreign investment in NBFCs can now come under automatic route provided they are regulated by any of financial sector regulators (RBI, SEBI, PFRDA etc.). Agencies not under these regulators will need approval from Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB).
- Book What Lies Between Us has been authored by Nayomi Munaweera.
- Mihir Shah committee, which was formed to restructure water agencies (Central Water Commission (CWC) and the Central Ground Water an it warned against interlinking of rivers and dependence on large dam projects.
- Forbes world’s 100 richest people in technology -
- Topped by Microsoft founder Bill Gates with an estimated fortune of $78 billion.
- India - Wipro Chairman Azim Premji Ranked 13th ($16 Billion) and HCL co-founder Shiv Nadar Ranked 17th ($11.6 Billion).
- Bharti Airtel launched 4G services in Kharagpur. Kharagpur is second city in West Bengal to have 4G services.
- Mobile application I Feel Safe” aimed at helping women ensure their safety in Delhi has been launched at Delhi University, powered by Nirbhaya Jyoti Trust.
- Google has been fined 438 million rubles ($6.75 million) by Russian antitrust authority for abusing its market position following a complaint by Yandex, Russias biggest search engine. Google forced Android makers to install its search engine on their devices, which has been seen to breach protecting competition laws.
- IKEA, Netherlands based global leader in retail furniture, has laid foundation for its first store in India in Hyderabad. It will be opened in July 2017, an investment of 700 crores.
- Microsoft appointed Sriram Rajamani as managing director of its India lab.
- Central Board of Direct Taxes constituted a committee under Gopal Mukherjee, to review existing media policy for communicating activities of the board and income tax department.
- Madhya Pradesh and Union Territory (UT) of Puducherry joined Ujwal Discom Assurance scheme that will save the state Rs 17,515 crore and for the UT it is expected to be around Rs.72 crore. Total number of states / UTs under UDAY has now risen to 16.
- Aug 10, 2016
- 10 August - International Biodiesel Day.
- Government approved Agreement with Croatia on Economic Cooperation.
- Government approved MoU with South Africa for cooperation in Tourism.
- NITI Aayog signed pact with USA Energy Information Administration (EIA) to set up a portal to host all data related to energy sector in India - oil, gas, coal, solar and thermal energy etc.
- Government has set up a committee to look at easing policy for e-commerce companies, including rules for foreign direct investment (FDI). This committee will be headed by Amitabh Kant (CEO of NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog).
- Lok Sabha passed Taxation Laws (Amendment) Bill 2016 to pave way for employers in textile sector to avail income tax benefits. Bill seeks to amends the Income Tax Act (IT), 1961 and the Customs Tariff Act, 1975. Key Features are -
- Amendments to IT Act 1961
- In case a public sector company demerges (split) into multiple companies, resultant company will be no longer a public sector company.
- Deduction in respect of employment of new employees - limit of employing employee for minimum of 240 days in previous year to obtain a deduction on taxable income has been reduced to 150 days.
- Amendments Customs Tariff Act 1975
- Customs duty on marble and granite blocks and slabs is increased to 40% from earlier 10%.
- Cabinet approved introducing Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Bill 2016, to amend Maternity Benefit Act, 1961. This law protects employment of women during the time of her maternity and entitles her of a ‘maternity benefit. Proposed amendments -
- Increase Maternity Benefit to 26 weeks from 12 weeks for 2 surviving children and 12 weeks for over 2 children.
- Mandatory 12 weeks Maternity Benefit to ‘Adopting mother and ‘Commissioning mother.
- Facilitate Work from home for women during the time of her maternity.
- PM Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin dedicated first unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KKNPP) in Tamil Nadu to nation, through video conferencing.
- It has Indias single largest nuclear generation unit with capacity of 1000 megawatt (MW)
- KKNPP is located in Tirunelveli district in Tamil Nadu, around 650 km from Chennai.
- It is built under India-Russian Nuclear agreement of 1988.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CEEA) approved development of Advanced Ultra Super Critical (AUSC) technology for thermal power plants, with a grant of 900 crore rupees for over 3 years for an Research.
- Project was proposed by a consortium of 3 entities to reduce coal consumption as well as Carbon di-oxide (CO2) emission - Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL), Indira Gandhi Centre of Atomic Research (IGCAR) National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC).
- AUSC technology will enable Indian industries to design, manufacture and commission higher efficiency coal-fired power plants with home made technology.
- Use of this technology in all future large coal-fired power plants will ensure energy security for a longer period as well as greener environment.
- Power generation from coal-fired power plants contributes to about 38% of CO2 pollution. AUSC technology will help in 20% reduction in CO2 emission at source combined with 20% saving in coal consumption compared to sub-critical plants.
- China launched a new high-resolution Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) - Gaofen-3, using a Long March 4C rocket. Gaofen-3 satellite is Chinas first low orbit remote sensing satellite with lifespan of 8 years. It will provide high-definition remote sensing data over long periods of time.
- Tamil Nadu government launched an online service for consumers to apply for low-tension service connections, through Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (TANGEDCO) website.
- An International Meeting on Counter Terrorism held in Bali (Indonesia). Kiren Rijiju (Minister of State for Home Affairs) Attended on India's Behalf.
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) listed worlds first Indian green Masala bond on London Stock Exchange (LSE) and raised $300 Million (Approx INR 2000 Crores).
- The bond is Climate Bonds Initiative certified and will be listed on London Stock Exchanges green bonds segment. NTPC will invest the collections to add more wind and solar power projects to its portfolio to support India's ambition to generate 175GW of renewable energy by 2022.
- 5-day event Tomorrow’s India Global Summit held in Seoul (South Korea), by Global Social India Foundation to provide a platform to offer investment opportunities for Indian start-up community.
- Noted Tamil actress Jyothi Lakshmi passed away.
- Government appointmed Ashok Kumar Garg, Raj Kamal Verma, Gopal Murli Bhagat, and Himanshu Joshi as Executive Directors in Bank of Baroda, Union Bank of India, Corporation Bank, and Oriental Bank of Commerce respectively.
- Rajeev Krishnan has been appointed as Managing Director of Max Hypermarkets in India.
- First Solar Power India started operations of 80 MW and 50 MW solar power plants in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, as part of its 260 MW project portfolio in India.
- Assam Government created a Committee under Mohan Chandra Malakar for verification process of rhino horns, stored in various treasuries since 1980.
- Aug 09, 2016
- 09 Aug - International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples. Theme for 2016 is Indigenous Peoples : Right to Education.
- Indian researchers' team at IISc Bengaluru found that endosulfan, an organochlorine pesticide, causes DNA damages in animals. They have revealed that mice and rats exposed to endosulfan suffer from DNA damage and genomic instability, and impaired DNA damage response.
- Yuriko Koike has been elected as first woman governor of Japanese Capital Tokyo.
- Malaysia enforced a new legislation that grants sweeping powers to its National Security Council (NSC). Powers conferred to Council are ability to take charge of security forces and Declare security areas for up to six months within which authorities can arrest, search or seize without warrants.
- Rajya Sabha passed Dentists (Amendment) Bill 2016 that seeks to amend Dentists Act 1948. It will also replace Dentists (Amendment) Ordinance 2016. Key Features include introduction of a uniform entrance examination for all dental educational institutions.
- Union Minister of State for External Affairs V K Singh Visited Jeddah (Saudi Arabia).
- Sandeep Kumar is appointed as Transport Commissioner of Delhi.
- Odisha Police Launched Operation Muskan-2 as an initiative to trace missing children and reunite them with parents.
- Aug 08, 2016
- Maharashtra Government launched Quit India 2 Swaraaj to Suraaj Movement against various social ills during.
- On 8th August 1942, Mahatma Gandhi had given the clarion call of Quit India at the historic August Kranti Maidan (then called as Gowalia Tank Maidan).
- Parliament passed Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws Amendment Bill 2016, seeking to strengthen debt recovery laws, improve financial health of the banks and lead to ease of doing business.
- The Bill seeks to amend four laws -
- Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest (SARFAESI) Act, 2002
- Recovery of Debts due to Banks and Financial Institutions Act (RDDBFI), 1993
- Depositories Act, 1996
- Indian Stamp Act, 1899.
- Amendments to SARFAESI Act -
- It allows District Magistrate (DM) to take possession over collateral within 30 days for securing the creditors and empowers DM to assist banks to take over the management of a company, in case the company is unable to repay loans.
- It creates a central database to integrate records of property registered under various registration systems with a central registry. Unless collateral is registered with the central registry, secured creditors will not be able to take possession over it.
- Empowers RBI to carry out audit and inspection of Asset Reconstruction Companies (ARCs) and penalize them if they fail to comply with any directions issued by it.
- No Stamp duty on transactions for transfer of financial assets (loans and collaterals) in favour of asset reconstruction companies.
- Amendments to RDDBFI Act
- Increases retirement age of Presiding Officers (PO) of Debt Recovery Tribunals (DRTs) to 65 years from 62 years.
- Increases the retirement age of Chairpersons of Appellate Tribunals to 67 years from 65 years.
- Allows PO and Chairpersons eligible for reappointment to their positions.
- Allows banks to file cases in tribunals having jurisdiction over area of bank branch where the debt is pending.
- Dinesh Kumar Khara has been appointed Managing Director (MD) of State Bank of India (SBI), Indias largest Bank. He was previously working as chief of SBI Funds Management Pvt. Ltd.
- Irom Chanu Sharmila (Also known as Iron Lady of Manipur or Mengoubi) ended up her 16-year-long hunger strike for repealing of Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) of 1958 from Manipur.
- Takehiko Nakao has been re-elected for 2nd term as President of the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Rajesh Mokashi has been appointed as Managing Director & CEO of Credit Analysis and Research Limited (CARE).
- K M Hanumantharayappa has been appointed as Chairman of Central Silk Board.
- Two-wheeler maker Hero MotoCorp reappointed Pawan Munjal as its chief for 5 years.
- Vodafone renewed its agreement for IT infrastructure with tech giant IBM for 5 years.
- Apple bought USA based machine learning startup Turi, to strengthen its reach in artificial intelligence.
- Reliance General Insurance Company signed a bancassurance tie-up with Shamrao Vithal Co-operative Bank (SVCB).
- Mahindra Intertrade signed partnership agreement with MSTC (a Government enterprise), to set-up country's first integrated auto recycling facility.
- Amsterdam-based human resource consulting firm Randstad Holdings acquired job portal Monster Worldwide for USD 429 millions (Apprx 2700 Crore Rupees).
- Former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister (Congress) Kalikho Pul passed away.
- Noted Yoga Guru TKV Desikachar passed away.
- Aug 07, 2016
- Second National Handloom Day has been celebrated all over the country, on today (August 7).
- Odisha government launched a special assistance scheme Baristha Bunakar Sahayata Yojana for elderly weavers to mark National Handlooms Day (7th August).
- New Guinness World Record for most robots dancing simultaneously has been set in China where 1,007 robots shimmied in unison, nearly doubling previous record of 540 robots.
- First-ever 'Pizza ATM' in world has been installed at Xavier university in Ohio (USA) by a French based company Paline.
- IDFC Bank appointed former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) deputy governor Anand Sinha to bank's board.
- Syndicate Bank launched fund transfer based on ‘Aadhaar Number through NUUP, using an ordinary mobile phone without internet connection.
- Noted Australian surfer Bernard Farrelly passed away.
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) signed MOU with IIT-Kharagpur for research project on Laboratory and Field investigations on Paneled Cement Concrete Pavements for Highways.
- Abhijeet Gupta won 20th Commonwealth Chess championship crown 2016 held in Colombo (Sri Lanka). He retained Commonwealth Chess championship crown that he won in 19th edition.
- Gymnast Dipa Karmakar became first Indian gymnast to qualify for finals of artistic Gymnastics at Rio 2016 Olympics.
- PM Narendra Modi released theme song for Tiranga Yatra to be organised between 16 to 23 August 2016 across the country to mark 70 years of Independence. Theme song 70 Saal Azadi Yaad Karo Kurbani has been composed by Ghazal Srinivas.
- 15-day programme Azadi 70- Yaad Karo Kurbani (Freedom Fortnight) on August 9, 2016 to commemorate freedom fighters on 70th year of India’s Independence will startfrom from birth place of Great freedom fighter Chandrashekhar Azaz at Alirajpur (Madhya Pradesh).
- Rajya Sabha passed Mental Health Care Bill to provide better healthcare for people suffering from mental illness and also to decriminalise suicide. In case of person who attempts to commit suicide shall be presumed to be suffering from mental illness at the time of attempting suicide unless proved otherwise. Such person shall not be liable to punishment under section 309 (attempt to commit suicide) of Indian Penal Code (IPC).
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) told Supreme Court that Ponzi schemes are not under its purview and the respective State Governments are law enforcement agencies in regard of Ponzi Schemes.
- Earlier, Supreme court had asked government and SEBI about what they were doing to curb the menace of ponzi schemes as such schemes are robbing small investors of their money. PIL was filed by NGO ‘Humanity Salt Lake.
- As per SEBI, Ponzi schemes do not fall under regulatory purview of SEBI and state government concerned is enforcement agency. They are banned under Prize Chit and Money Circulation (Banning) Act, 1978. Though it is a Central Act but respective State governments are enforcement agency of this law. SEBI mentioned that only Collective Investment Schemes (CIS) are under its jurisdiction.
- Government announced that Non-Performing Assets (NPA) of commercial banks have increased by around 4% between March 2015 to March 2016 (5.43 % in March 2015 to 9.32 % in March 2016). NPA amounts are related to 417 stalled infrastructure projects where public sector banks have invested is over 66478 crore rupees.
- India approached United States (US) and select European countries part of Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to crack terror fund trail details of Al Rehmat Trust from Pakistan. Al Rehmat Trust is financer of terrorist outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) which carried out attack at Pathankot airbase (in Punjab) in January 2016.
- Lok Sabha passed Employees Compensation (Amendment) Bill 2016, to amend Employees Compensation Act, 1923. This law provides payment of compensation to employees in case of injury by industrial accidents. Key Features are -
- It is Mandatory for employer to inform the employee of his right to compensation. Failing which employer may be penalized between 50000 - 100000.
- Appeals from Commissioners order - Any dispute related to employees compensation will be heard by a Commissioner (with powers of a civil court) only if amount in dispute is ten thousand rupees. Government may raise this amount.
- Deletion of withholding payments pending appeal provision - Earlier in parent Act, any payments towards employee can be temporarily withheld if an employer has appealed against a Commissioners order in High Court. This provision has been deleted.
- Aug 06, 2016
- Odisha Government dedicated 100 multi-purpose shelter houses to people of Odisha for use during floods and cyclones, aiming to minimize casualtes during calamities.
- Reserve Bank of India imposed penalties of Rs 5 lakh each on 2 cooperative banks in Chhattisgarh - Zila Sahakari Kendriya Bank Maryadit Raipur and Raipur Urban Mercantile Cooperative Bank Limited.
- Corporation Bank launched group credit life insurance scheme of LIC in Mangaluru.
- India Bullion and Jewellers Association (IBJA) announced 500 gms Sovereign Gold Bonds for Gold Medalists and 1 KG silver to Silver Medalists of India at RIO Olympics 2016.
- Apart, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) also announced cash award of 50 lakh rupees for gold medal, 30 lakh for silver and 20 lakh rupees for bronze medalists.
- IBM and Apple launched a new global development hub at Manyata Tech Park in Bengaluru, aimed at helping clients in India complete digital mobility process platform.
- Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre (EZCC) organized a 64-day-long theatre festival in Kolkata as biggest theatre festival in World. It will showcase 245 theatres of several groups at Bharatiyam Cultural Multiplex in Kolkata's satellite town Salt Lake.
- Human Resource and Development Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurated transit campus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at village Jagti in Jammu.
- Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu launched Swachh Survekshan-2017 for 500 cities with an idea to make competitive environment to make cities clean.
- ISRO inaugurated a 'C Band Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar' at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram
- It is first of its kind in South India. First Doppler weather radar in India was inaugurated in Cherrapunji in May.
- This Doppler weather radar can provide advance information about storms, cyclones, and other severe weather conditions.
- 3 day long India's International Footwear Fair (IIFF) held in Delhi with 263 companies from India and abroad participating.
- Odisha government launched a website of state's Home department to enable differently-abled persons to interact with website.
- Telangana signed MOU with Indian Space Research Organisation for setting up a Water Resources Information System (WRIS) on ISRO's ‘Bhuvan’ web portal.
- Noted South Indian film director and scriptwriter Vietnam Veedu Sundaram passed away.
- 9 member Kathakali dance troupe performed for first time in Egypt, as part of 14th Summer Festival organized by Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) and Manipur government signed MoU to provide improved hospitality and tourism services to customers.
- Aug 05, 2016
- 31st Summer Olympic Games started in Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro, with theme World peace and Environment. Abhinav Bindra (2008 Beijing Olympic gold medallist) is the flag bearer from India in opening ceremony. It is his 5th appearance at the Olympics.
- Next (32nd) Olympic Games will be held in Tokyo (Japan) in 2020 ith 5 added - baseball/softball, karate, skateboard, sports climbing and surfing.
- ICICI Bank announced 0.05% reduction in its marginal cost of funds based lending rate (MCLR). Overnight MCLR will be 8.90% under revised rate structure.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) introduced MCLR from April 1 this year for faster transmission of its policy actions into actual lending rates by banks. MCLR replaced base rate system.
- Oracle collaborated with State Bank of India (SBI) and launched 'D-Change' programme which will support education and learning, women's empowerment and rural skills development in India.
- Odisha government will recruit members of transgender community persons as warders in jails, as per directive of Supreme Court.
- Tamil Nadu Assembly passed resolution to rename Madras High Court as Tamil Nadu High Court and not as High Court of Chennai as proposed by Central government.
- ICICI Bank signed MoU with Apollo India Credit Opportunity Management LLC and AION Capital Management to set up an asset reconstruction company.
- Bank of Baroda tied up with fintech start-up Fisdom for personal wealth management services.
- Mondelez International appointed Deepak Iyer as Managing Director of its India operation.
- BCCI appointed Markandey Katju as head of a legal panel to help implications of Justice Lodha Committee reforms.
- AXA tied up with Alibaba for distributing AXA's insurance products through Alibaba's global e-commerce ecosystem.
- Sudhanshu Mani has been appointed as General Manager of Integral Coach Factory.
- D K Gayen has been appointed as General Manager of East Central Railway (ECR).
- Ministry of Urban Development approved investment of 4404 crores for augmenting water supply, drainage and transport in urban areas in 8 States / UTs under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT). States are - Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Telangana, Haryana, Nagaland, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Six year old boy Om Swaroop Gowda from Karnataka set world record for covering longest distance by limbo skating under cars. He traveled 65.283 metres distance while holding his body just above ground and maintaining a splits position throughout.
- First technology 2 day meet under Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for Northeast India held in Guwahati, regarding implementation of Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 document that proposes investment of Rs 1,30,000 crore.
- Aug 04, 2016
- Indian Railways will build India’s longest tunnel and world’s tallest girder rail bridge on Jiribam-Tupul-Imphal new broad gauge railway line in Manipur.
- 111-km long line already has 37 tunnels on it. New tunnel will be 11.55 km long and will surpass Pir Panjal tunnel (Banihal-Qazigund line in J&K ). Rail bridge with height of 141m will surpass the existing tallest bridge in Europe which has a height of 139m.
- Youssef Chahed appointed as new Prime Minister of Tunisia.
- Festival Amazing North-EastParadise Unexplored will be held in New Delhi to promote rich folk culture of North-East India.
- Goa Tourism will organize ‘Freedom Ride’ as an exclusive bike rally on Independence Day (August 15, 2016).
- MOU signed between National Tiger Conservation Authority and WII (Dehradun) for establishing Indias first tiger cell. It will have a database of tigers as well as DNA and stripes samples from over 50 tiger reserves and will aid conservation efforts.
- Bombay Stock Exchange signed MoU for co-operation in cyber security with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) constituted Tarun Ramadorai committee to study various facets of household finance in India and benchmark India’s position against both the peer countries and advanced countries.
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises launched a performance and credit rating scheme to assess creditworthiness of industries os MSMEs. Performance and Credit Rating Scheme will provide trusted third party opinion to create awareness about strengths and weaknesses of enterprises.
- BHEL commissioned second 500 MW thermal unit at Marwa Thermal Power Station in Chhattisgarh.
- Kerala cabinet appointed V S Achuthanandan head of administrative reforms panel.
- Maharashtra Government will provide upto 1,200 wi-fi hotspots in Mumbai as part of its plans to make Mumbai a wi-fi city by May 2017.
- Vijay Rupani has been appointed as new Chief Minister of Gujarat while Nitin Patel as Deputy Chief Minister.
- Kerala Tourism started a promotional campaign in Dubai targeting Arab travellers for showcasing state’s backwaters and waterfalls on taxis in Dubai, carrying message A Faraway Land Four Hours Away.
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) capped prices of 24 essential drugs used for treatment of cancer, HIV, bacterial infections, anxiety and cardiac conditions.
- Film-maker N Chandra honoured with Lifetime Achievement award at 8th Goa State Film Festival 2016.
- Aug 03, 2016
- Government has set an inflation target of 4 % for upto March 31, 2021. Government will soon set-up Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) to adhere to the target till March 31, 2021. This target was fixed after Government and Reserve Bank of India (RBI) reached an agreement on a monetary policy framework.
- Government has set target to roll out Goods and Services Tax (GST) from 1st April 2017. Note that Rajya Sabha had recently passed Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill 2014, paving way for GST implementation.
- There will be two components of GST - Central GST (CGST) and State GST (SGST). Centre and States have authority to simultaneously levy GST across the value chain. States will levy and collect State Goods and Services Tax (SGST) on all transactions within a State and Centre will levy and collect Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST).
- Benefits -
- For business and industry
- Uniformity of tax rates and structures - GST will ensure that indirect tax rates and structures are uniform across country. Thereby it will increase certainty and ease of doing business.
- Removal of cascading - GST will ensure minimal cascading of taxes (i.e. tax on tax).
- Easy compliance - GST regime will have a robust and comprehensive IT system. Therefore, all tax payer services such as registrations, payments, returns, etc. will be available to the taxpayers online.
- Improved competitiveness - Reduced transaction costs of doing business wil limprove competitiveness for trade.
- Gain to manufacturers and exporters - GST will reduce cost of locally manufactured goods and services, thus increasing competitiveness of Indian goods and services in international market and giving boost to Indian exports.
- For Central and State Governments
- Simple and easy to administer - GST will replace multiple indirect taxes into single regime, backed with a robust end-to-end IT system.
- Better controls on leakage - Better IT infrastructure of GST regime will result in better tax compliance that will curb leakages and incentivize tax compliance by traders.
- Higher revenue efficiency - GST will lead to higher revenue efficiency as it is expected to decrease cost of collection of tax revenues.
- For consumers
- Single and transparent tax proportionate to value of goods and services - Under GST regime, there will be only one tax from manufacturer to consumer. Thus, it will lead to transparency of taxes paid by final consumer.
- Relief in overall tax burden - overall tax burden on most commodities will come down.
- China launched Tiantong-01 meant for mobile telecommunication, using Long March-3B carrier rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Centre.
- Health & Family Welfare Minister J P Nadda Government launched MAA (Mothers Absolute Affection), a nation-wide breast feeding programme. Actress Madhuri Dixit is brand ambassador of this campaign.
- MAA programme aims to enhance optimal breastfeeding practices in the country.
- Health Ministry has allocated 30 crore rupees for this Programme and 4.3 lakh rupees for each district for implementing various activities under MAA programme.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) tied up with mobile wallet company MobiKwik, to enable railway passengers to make e-cash payments on IRCTC’s e-catering app “Food on Track”.
- Andhra Pradesh government signed MoU with Japan to develop a food value chain in state.
- Dilip Rath appointed as chairman of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
- Bhaskar Khulbe has been appointed as new Secretary to PM Narendra Modi.
- Book India Rising: Fresh Hope, New Fears has been authored by Ravi Velloor.
- Aadi Perukku festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu as a thanksgiving festival to rivers, especially Cauvery river. This festival is celebrated on 18th of Aadi month in Tamil calendar year.
- Traditional farm festival of Hareli celebrated in Chhattisgarh. It marks beginning of Shravan month (holy month of Hindus).
- Town and Country Planning (TCP) department of Himachal Pradesh launched citizen governance mobile App “HIM TCP” to take vital services online. This App ensures single point access to services and other functions of department.
- World Economic Forum (WEF) India Economic Summit will be held in New Delhi in October 2016,with Theme Fostering an Inclusive India through Digital Transformation.
- State Bank of India (SBI) launched cheaper home loan schemes for defence and other government employees with installment tenure extending up to 75 years of age. SBI Privilege Home Loan will be for government employees and SBI Shaurya Home Loan will be for defence personnel.
- Indias first underground museum will be opened at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi in October 2016. Approx Rs. 80 crores were spent in creating this museum.
- Aug 02, 2016
- PM Narendra Modi laid foundation stone for the Rs 10,598.98 crore National Thermal Power Corporation's (NTPC) 1,600 MW Telangana Super Thermal Power Project (Phase I) in Ramagundam city. NTPC will establish project in Telengana in two phases - 1600 MW in Phase I and 2400 MW in Phase II. He also launched phase-1 of 'Mission Bhagiratha', a flagship project of Telangana government aimed at providing piped drinking water to every household in state.
- Russian Naval Rescue Ship Igor Belousov Visted Visakhapatnam (India).
- HRD Minister Prakas Javedkar inaugurated IIT Raipur in Chhattisgarh at campus of Government Engineering College, Raipur.
- Noted Egyptian Nobel-winning Chemistry scientist Ahmed Zewail passed away.
- Government approved amendments in Central List of OBCs (Other Backward Classes) applicable to Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- Government approved Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Bill 2016 to improve road safety scenario. It amends 68 of existing 223 sections of Motor Vehicles Act (MVA) 1988 and proposes hefty penalties on violations of road safety rules. It proposes addition of 28 new sections.
- Increases compensation for Hit & Run cases to Rs. 2 lakh from Rs.25000. Adds provision for payment of compensation in road accidents fatalities upto .
- e-Governance - It focuses on improving delivery of services to the stakeholders using e-Governance. It enables online learning licenses, increases period of driving licenses validity and remove requirements of educational qualifications for transport licenses etc.
- Vahan & Sarathi platforms - Proposes to create National Register for Vehicle registration and National Register for Driving Licence through Sarathi” and Vahan” platforms. This will facilitate uniformity of the process across the country and bring harmony of the registration and licensing process.
- Offences committed Juveniles - Owner or guardian will be deemed guilty in cases of offences by the Juveniles.
- Aadhar linked eSignature facility - eSignDesk has been launched by LegalDesk, a Bengaluru based start-up.
- eSignDesk is an initiative of Government to allow all citizens (with Aadhaar) to remotely sign any document. It saves both time and money and also provides security as nobody can forge this signature unlike wet signatures.
- Singer Shubha Mudgal has been selected for 23rd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award 2016.
- Delhi High Court ruled that National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi will continue to be a Union Territory (UT) under administrative control of Lt Governor (LG).
- Chairperson of Reliance Foundation, Nita Ambani became first Indian woman to be elected as an individual member of International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) launched Portal at sachet.rbi.org.in to curb illegal and unauthorised pooling of funds by unscrupulous firms. It will help people obtain information about entities allowed to collect deposits.
- Noted Assamese Writer Mahim Bora passed away. He received Sahitya Akademi award for his Edhani Mahir Hanhi in 2001.
- USA declared Pakistan based Jamaat-ur-Ahrar (JuA) as a ‘terror group’ by adding it to list of global terrorists.
- Gujarat high court removed 10 % reservation quota for economically backward classes (EBCs) in in higher educational institutions and government jobs, by terming Gujarat Unreserved Economically Weaker Sections Ordinance 2016 as unconstitutional. Ordinance was termed unconstitutional as total reservation exceeds in state exceeded 50 % percent cap set by Supreme Court.
- Rajya Sabha passed Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill 2014 to introduce goods and services tax (GST). With this, India took giant step in structural indirect taxation reform and paved way for concept of one nation, one tax. It was passed in Lok Sabha in May 2015.
- Bill will again go back to the Lok Sabha to incorporate few amendments approved by Rajya Sabha.
- Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill 2014 will enter into statute book as Constitution (101st Amendment) Bill 2016.
- About GST -
- GST is single indirect tax for whole nation, which will make India one unified common market. It is uniformly applicable to all Goods and Services in Country.
- GST is a tax only on value addition at each stage i.e. credits of input taxes paid at each stage will be available in subsequent stage of value addition. Thus, final consumer will bear only GST in supply chain charged by last dealer with set-off benefits at all previous stages.
- GST will bring uniform indirect tax regime throughout country by subsuming central and state indirect taxes into single indirect tax.
- Indirect taxes to be subsumed into GST -
- At Central level - Central Excise Duty, Additional Excise Duty, Service Tax, Additional Customs Duty (Countervailing Duty), Special Additional Duty of Customs.
- At State level - State Value Added Tax (VAT) or Sales Tax, Octroi and Entry tax, Purchase Tax, Luxury tax, Taxes on lottery / betting / gambling, Entertainment Tax, Central Sales Tax (levied by Centre and collected by States).
- Key changes proposed to the Constitution (122nd Amendment) Bill 2014 -
||Amendments in 2016 Bill
|Additional 1% tax on inter-State trade
It will be levied by Centre in course of inter-State trade.
It will be directly assigned to States from wheresupply originates.
| This provision has been deleted
|Compensation to States
Parliament may provide for compensation to states for any loss of revenues for a period which may extend to 5 years.
It will be based on the recommendations of the GST Council.
This implies that Parliament may decide (i) whether it wants to provide compensation;(ii) time period for which it can provide such compensation, up to 5 years.
- Parliament must provide for compensation to states for any loss of revenues, for a period which may extend to 5 years.
- This would be based on the recommendations of the GST Council.
- This implies that (i) Parliament must provide compensation to states and (ii) compensation cannot be provided for more than 5 years, but Parliament may decide a shorter time period.
GST Council may decide modalities to resolve disputes arising out of its recommendations.
GST Council to establish mechanism to adjudicate any dispute arising out of its recommendations.
Disputes can be between: (i) centre and states vs. one or more states; (b) centre vs. one or more states; (c) state vs. state.
It makes mandatory for a standing mechanism to resolve disputes.
|Replacement of the term IGST
The GST Council will make recommendations on the apportionment of the Integrated Goods and Services Tax (IGST).
- However, IGST was not defined in the bill.
It replace the term IGST with ‘goods and services tax levied on supplies in the course of inter-State trade or commerce.
The states share of the IGST shall not form a part of the Consolidated fund of India.
|Inclusion of CGST and IGST in tax devolution to states
States share of IGST will be distributed between the Centre and States.
CGST and Centres share of IGST will be distributed between Centre and States.
- Aug 01, 2016
- Competition Commission of India imposed penalties on Karnataka Chemists and Druggist Association (‘KCDA) and Lupin Ltd, for being in contravention of provisions of Competition Act 2002.
- Government approved Rs 400 Crore projects under Namami Gange mission, Mostly for Uttar Pradesh (307 Crores).
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) allocated Rs. 142.00 crore has been provided for Biogas Programme for 2016-17, for implementing National Biogas and Manure Management Programme (NBMMP) for setting up of family type biogas plants in rural and semi-urban areas of the country. A target of 1,00,000 biogas plants has been fixed for the current year.
- Severe tropical typhoon Nida (also known as Cariana in Philippines) made landfall near Dapeng Peninsula in Chinas Guangdong Province, with winds upto 150 KM/HR.
- ATP Toronto Masters also known as the Rogers club Cup
- Men's Singles - Novak Djokovic (Serbia) won by defeating Kei Nishikori (Japan).
- Women's Singles - Simona Halep (Romania) won by defeating Madison Keys (USA).
- Mens doubles - Ivan Dodig (Croatia) and Marcelo Melo (Brazil) won by defeating Jamie Murray (Scotland) and Bruno Soares (Brazil).
- Womens doubles - Russian pair of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina won by defeating Romanian pair of Simona Halep and Monica Niculescu.
- National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) given clean chit to wrestler Narsingh Yadav in doping case. He will now participate in 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Book Grassroots Innovation, authored by Anil K. Gupta of IIM Ahmedabad has been released.
- Supreme Court stated that former Chief Ministers are not entitled for government accommodation for lifetime. Judgment came on a plea filed by Uttar Pradesh-based NGO Lok Prahari.
- Rani Singh Nair has been appointed as Chairperson (Chairman) of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- Translator and artist Anita Gopalan was awarded 2016 PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grants for her English translation of Hindi novel Simsim written by Geet Chaturvedi. Gopalan is second Indian translator to be selected for the grant.
- Rajasthan become first state to approve sewage and waste water policy.
- Japan’s approved an economic stimulus package worth 275 billion dollars in attempt to boost growth of world’s third-largest economy. Japanese government expects that this package will boost gross domestic product (GDP) by 1.3%.
- American ice hockey Olympic champion Angela Ruggiero was elected as new chairman of International Olympic Committee (IOC’s) Athletes’ Commission.
- Seventh meeting of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Immigration Authorities held in Islamabad (Pakistan). Home Minister Rajnath Singh Attended on India's Behalf.
- Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist Chairperson Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’ elected as 39th Prime Minister of Nepal.
- Government approved Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Lao Peoples Democratic Republic (Lao PDR).